Wednesday 28 May 2014

The progress of the Glorious Birdies

So toward the end of last week I was making all kinds of threats about painting 3 Griffons for my Empire army in time for Little Wars this coming weekend. I would be lying if I said that it was not an ambitious plan, and I think I am on the brink of revising my plans. However, the first of them is now completed.

I was most keen to paint the Griffon converted from the High Elf one from the Island of Blood boxed set. Things you've converted are always more interesting to paint than stock models. Unfortunately I got bogged down soon after I started, trying to work out how I wanted to paint the feathers. There are so many feathers, and so many potential colours. Anyway, I sort of fumbled around with things for a while before deciding I just had to go with it if I ever wanted to make progress with the other models. Hence this particular birdie has a rather strange plumage. Ah well, he's a mythical beast - he can be whatever colour he wants!
My converted Empire IOB Griffon, ready for the table!
Seen from the left
In the interest of keeping things simple and clean, I decided not to paint any sort of big cat markings on the tail end of the model. Clearly he's half mountain lion or puma or something.
From the right
As I say, the colours and pattern of the plumage kind of stumped me. Here is what I ended up with. At least it adds some colour to the model.
I did some minimal light source work on the gauntlet and wing near the flaming blade. Nothing fancy, but it looked a little odd with nothing.
As I say, I think I am going to have to alter my plans for the weekend. This model took longer than I had hoped, and whilst the second one should be no harder, the final model in the trio is the enormous plastic Deathclaw with Karl Franz himself on top. The thing is huge and elaborate, and will surely take far longer than the other two. Some vague arithmetic involving the waggling of fingers and head-scratching suggests that there is no way I can get all 3 guys done by Sunday. I think Karl Franz will miss out this time. Unless he gets off his high horse/Griffon and rides into battle on something a little more practical (and faster to paint). He's not glued on for a reason, after all...

8 comments:

  1. Great conversion! That fiery sword makes a lot more sense, with the flames blowing back from the onrushing wind, than it does on the original Bright Wizard model (which is just holding it normally).
    Like the colour-themed plumage too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, I don't really like it on the bright wizard. But it's ripe for conversion work...

      Delete
  2. I like the object source lighting on the wing and gauntlet. Subtle but effective. Have fun at little wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is gorgeous. Hope it lasts the battle!

    Nothing worse then a model like that getting blasted off the field in the first turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's a mighty Griffon, noblest of beasts. What could possibly go wrong...?

      Delete
  4. Lovin' your glass cannon! I have done a similar conversion of the HE Prince, but kept the lance and substituted the head. I really dislike the turkey-like offering from GW. I have only fielded him a couple of times, all but once being taken out by cannon fire and another time by Gorbad- Damn ASF, ignores AS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey? Which turkey are we talking about now?

      Delete
  5. The griffin looks amazing, and if i am honest i am in awe of your productivity in the painting department.

    ReplyDelete