Wednesday 6 November 2013

First Mangler Painted

After spending much of Tuesday putting together my first home-made Mangler Squig, I was keen to get some paint on him and see how he turned out. I got my chance last night, and here is how he turned out:
One surly Mangler Squig, ready to spring into action on the tabletop.
A bit of a top-down view. I decided to give him a stripe of purple down his spine, including all he ridges on his back. The model doesn't have a ton of detail on it (no scales or anything like that), so I figured a colour change might help break him up a bit.
Some of the joints between green stuff and Magic Sculpt were more obvious than I realised, but on a model like this, I'm not too fussed.
Here he is from the other side.
I liked the idea of hooking spiky things to his tail so that when he thrashes about, he acts like a big, mean flail. I might add more flaily bits to the other one.
"Size matters not": Yoda may have been very wise, but in some things I think he might have been mistaken.
All in all, I think he came together better once he was painted. I'm now looking forward to getting the second one done, so that I can have a go at painting him as well. First things first, I guess - he's not even half sculpted yet...

7 comments:

  1. Love the bull-dog underslung jaw look. Nice piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH! He's adorable!
    Maybe use a sharp, pointy thing and scribe some wrinkles and fold lines into his flesh?
    I still want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given more time I might have lavished attention on him and given him a scaly hide or some such. But I think he'll be staying the way he is. There will always be more Mangler Squigs.

      Delete
  3. I like him, he looks thoughtful. For a squig. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's deciding who to eat first. One of life's great decisions.

      Delete
  4. That turned out very nicely. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete